Phil Santa Maria
Hi, I’m Phil Santa Maria. Allow me to introduce myself by telling you 15 Things about my background and interests.
1. I have been a lawyer for more than 30 years. If I had not chosen this career, I don’t know what I would have done — unless, of course, I could have made it in the NBA as a 5’11” point guard!
2. I am married. My wife, Kathie, is a Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor. We have 4 adult children.
3. I graduated in the top 10% of my law school class and was a member of the Editorial Board of our Law Review. I earned the right to practice before the highest courts in Maryland, the District of Columbia and California. In addition, I have been admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and the United States Supreme Court. I’m even admitted to practice before the Court of Military Appeals.
4. During my career, I have handled thousands of Maryland injury law claims. I’ve handled million dollar Maryland injury law cases and small cases where the recovery was only a few thousand dollars . . . and all size cases in between.
5. Who’s Who in American Law is a prestigious publication that recognizes excellence in the law. For at least 30 years, it has honored me with inclusion.
6. The Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory has a peer rating system where lawyers — and judges, too — rate lawyers based on legal skill and ethics. The highest possible rating is called “AV Preeminent,” and I have once again been awarded this highest possible rating from both fellow lawyers and judges.
7. I am a lifetime member of Million Dollar Advocates Forum, an organization whose members have handled million dollar cases. Fewer than 1% of American lawyers are members.
8. I have been named to Top Rated Lawyers in the Washington, DC and Baltimore areas.
9. The website avvo.com rates lawyers based on a combination of professional reputation and accomplishments as well as client satisfaction. I am grateful to have their highest possible rating.
10. I created the website “All-About-Car-Accidents.com,” the Internet’s most popular source of free consumer information concerning car accidents. (Although I have since sold that site and am no longer responsible for it, it still features many of my articles.)
11. I authored the first lawyer-written self-help ebook for car accident victims who want to settle their own claims, called The Car Accident Claims Kit. (Since I do not have the time to keep it current, I have stopped publishing this book.)
12. I have a special interest in health and fitness. I’m a Certified Fitness Instructor.
13. I’m a sports fan. I’ve played and watched sports for as long as I can remember.
14. Kathie and I love to travel. I have been to all 50 states and to 25 or more countries. My all-time favorite trip was to Bora Bora in the South Pacific.
15. I am a serious photographer. I created PhilSantaMariaPhotography.online to display some of my photographs. In 2016, I published my first photo book, My Frederick, which captures the charms of my adopted home town, Frederick, Maryland.
16. I enjoy volunteer and charitable work. I volunteer legal services to those who can’t afford to pay for it. For example, I participated in a program called “Lawyers Who Care” and became qualified to represent 9/11 victim’s families. I’ve coached numerous youth sports, especially basketball. I created and ran a youth ski club. I have volunteered at soup kitchens for many years, and I have been a Meals on Wheels driver for more than 25 years. Another favorite thing Kathie and I did was an AIDS Ride several years ago where we rode our bicycles from Raleigh, North Carolina, to Washington, D.C., about 350 miles in 4 days. I have also done volunteer community mediation.
17. I love humor. There’s a good chance you will run into me at comedy clubs and movie comedies. I like to hear jokes and to tell them.
18. I love being a lawyer. After all the cases I’ve handled, there is still nothing more satisfying than helping a client through a difficult situation.
Yes, I know that’s more than 15 Things. We try to always give you more than we promise.